Surely a Tofu Scramble can’t be a delicious as an Egg Scramble?
Since turning vegan, I don’t miss meat but I did initially miss eggs as it was a staple I had almost every day for breakfast and it had a great protein hit! This easy, simple tofu scramble has helped me satisfy my egg cravings and did you know that tofu actually has more protein than eggs? It’s the scramble showdown and of course the vegan option is the front runner in my eyes.
Just as you can with eggs, you can add ingredients that you want with the tofu scramble like vegan sausage as an example. Of course, that’s not the healthiest option but if you’re a newbie vegan it may help you adding in meat like substitutes initially.
I prefer to have my tofu scramble with mushrooms, avocado, and as I have a major sweet tooth I do tend to have some agave nectar to my tofu scramble – Please don’t judge me!
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 200 g Tofu
- 1 tbsp Tumeric
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Pack Mushrooms
- 1 Handful Spinach
- Make sure tofu is dry by squeezing out all the excess water with an absorbent towel
- Break up the tofu in a bowl
- Add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder & tumeric to the tofu and mix well
- Heat the coconut oil in a pain and add the chilli, red onions and mushrooms for a few minutes
- Add the tofu to the pan for a couple of minutes stirring together with the mushrooms and red onions.
- Finally add in the spinach and continue to cook until it’s wilted
- Season to Taste!
- Add to toast & serve with some fresh cut tomatoes & black pepper
And here it is!
Did you know?
- The same quantity of tofu has nearly double the amount of protein than egg
- Tofu has 0mg of cholesterol whereas egg has SO much!
- Tofu has approx. 1/8 of the amount of sodium than egg
- Need more calcium in your diet? Tofu has 10 times the amount egg does!
If you make this delicious tofu scramble, let me know! Leave a comment below or take a picture and tag it #vegainsvibes on Instagram. Hit a follow on my IG to keep up to date with my latest recipe!
If you need any help transitioning to a vegan diet click here for my latest post which has some top tips
I love seeing what you guys cook up so keep on following this blog and I can assure you there’s going to be a lot more coming your way!