When I transitioned to a vegan diet, I never craved meat however there were a few dishes which I did massively crave. As some of you may have seen on my Instagram if you’ve been following me for a while, one of them was katsu curry. The second was buffalo wings and no I didn’t crave the actual chicken wings, I craved the sauce. It may have even been the fact that I knew I wasn’t able to have it, so I craved it more. Who knows?
Back to my point, I started looking into alternatives online. Can I just say that it’s great that we live in a world where we can literally google anything, imagine trying to be a vegan 30 years ago! When I started researching meat free alternatives for buffalo wings, cauliflower buffalo wings kept coming up. I’ve tried a number of recipes and I’ve now perfected the recipe so I wanted to share it with you all.
Do These Cauliflower Buffalo Wings Taste Like Chicken Buffalo Wings?
No, cauliflower will never taste like meat. If it did, I would be extremely worried! However the sauce is exactly the same, so if you love buffalo chicken wings, there’ll be no reason to not love these buffalo cauliflower wings too. Oh and it’s also cruelty free, so I would hands down choose the cauliflower every time.
What Ingredients are in This Recipe?
What do You Serve With The Cauliflower Buffalo Wings?
I served my buffalo cauliflower wings with this delicious vegan ranch dressing and the combination tasted so good together. I actually had them by themselves as a side but you can even serve them in tacos, a spicy salad or even in a buddha bowl. However you decide to serve them, they won’t fail to impress, I promise you that.
What’s the Best Way to Cook Them?
My go to recipe is the easy traditional baking way. I have seen a number of people that have tried them in an air fryer or grill, so I’ll definitely be experimenting with those at some point.
What Is So Good About These Cauliflower Buffalo Wings?
- They are delicious.
- They’re perfect as a side or for sharing. Great for parties! If you are planning on having a party, make sure you also try out my falafel recipe.
- They taste so much better than you think they would as cauliflower is generally underrated.
- As well as being vegan they’re also gluten free and low carb so they can be fed to everyone.
- Did I mention they were delicious?
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- ½ Large Cauliflower Head (Cut into florets)
- ¼ cup Flour
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 tbsp Almond Milk (Any Dairy Free Milk)
- ½ cup Buffalo/Hot Sauce
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
- Preheat over to 220°C
- Spray cauliflower florets with oil spray or toss with a little oil. Place in either a very large bowl or a large zip bag.
- Toss with the flour and garlic powder until evenly coated.
- You can use breadcrumbs for added crunch which need to be finely crushed. Add the milk of choice and then the breadcrumbs to the cauliflower, and toss to coat.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes
- Combine the oil with the buffalo or hot sauce and dip the cauliflower in the sauce
- Bake for another 15 minutes
- Serve with Ranch dressing
Please do let me know how you found this recipe in the comments below and make sure you subscribe to my blog!