Ever get to about 3pm in the day and you feel that you need a little pick me up snack? Me too! Since working from home during lock down, I’ve had SO much more time to experiment cooking. I’ve saved about 3 hours a day which includes my commute and getting ready – That’s an insane amount of time, so what better way to use the time than in the kitchen.
These vegan chocolate balls will give you that energy kick you need and they are packed with protein. They’re my go to snack during the day and they have a great protein hit.
What’s In These Energy Balls?
Do I Need to Bake Them?
No, this is a no bake recipe and these protein energy balls just need to be rolled together. They don’t need any sort of baking, which means they are super quick to make. They shouldn’t take you any longer than 15 minutes from start to finish.
Do You Need The Protein Powder?
No, if you don’t want to add protein powder you can leave it out the recipe. I prefer using protein powder in this recipe, as it is a way to get a quick fix of protein during the day. I love the vegan blend protein powder from My Protein, which you can get from Amazon. If you weren’t keen on adding in protein powder, the almond butter does have protein in as well as a few other ingredients in these energy balls. If you need some help to where you can get protein as a vegan, check this article out.
What Do These Energy Balls Taste Like?
- Delicious & Satisfying
- Not too Heavy, great as a snack
- Slightly Nutty
- Definitely Chocolaty
- Texture wise – They should be firm
How Long Do These Energy Balls Keep Well?
For about a week if they are stored in an air tight container in the fridge. They’re so easy and quick to make, so I generally make a batch on Sunday and have them during the week. If you decide to freeze these energy balls, you can store them for about 3 months.
Vegan Chocolate Protein Energy Balls
- 2 cups Gluten Free Oats
- ½ cup Pitted Dates (Mejdool Dates are my Favourite)
- ½ cup Ground Flax Seed
- ¼ cup Almond Butter
- ¼ cup Cacao Powder
- 30g Protein Powder
- t tsp Cinnamon
- ¾ cup water
- ⅓ cup Chocolate Chips (Vegan)
- Add rolled oats, cacao powder, ground flax seed, cinnamon, dates, almond butter, and chocolate protein powder to food processor.
- Pulse until ingredients are blended and oats are finely chopped. The consistency should be similar to flour.
- Slowly add water to the food processor and blend until the mixture starts to stick together.
- Add the mixture to a large bowl and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Form energy balls into 1-1.5′ balls.
- Serve immediately or store in air tight container
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know how you found it, would to hear to from you in the comments below.